Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Best Method for Flashing Firmware Thread

Modifications and Hacking Forum in Themes / Wallpapers / Hacking - Customisation Section

I recently flashed my Viewty with the Unbranded v10g (using the binary .dz file) . I did this for a ...
    BillG is offline Site Team
    Loyal Member
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level

Exclamation Best Method for Flashing Firmware

I recently flashed my Viewty with the Unbranded v10g (using the binary .dz file) . I did this for a few reasons, first, because I had O2-branded v10c and I wanted to get rid of all the O2 settings.

Second, during my previous flash from v10f (heavily branded with Orange) to v10c, I had chosen to keep all the phone's data. As a result, I kept all my contacts BUT I ended up with duplicate contact groups that I could not delete. This was a real pain, not only because it screwed up my Contacts Groups, but also I REALLY want to use Call Reject and Call Reject depends upon Groups. Also, Googlemaps didn't work.

Lastly, my previous O2-branded v10c did not have any USA cities in the timezone settings.

So, I flashed using unbranded v10g - based on my research this is the most bug-free and stable firmware release:
    ku990-dz-v10g-jul-08-2008-opn-eu.dz (73.5M)
    and during the flash I chose to erase all my phone's contents. After flashing with v10g I replaced all my contacts into my Viewty from an Outlook backup (NOT the Viewty backup). My Viewty now works flawlessly.

You need to flash using the LGMDP program. Info and download for it is here:
    http://www.mygreatphone.com/forum/modifications-hacking/10674-link-lgmdp-firmware-updater.html

A video on how to use the LGMDP program is here:
    Video on How to Use LGMDP to flash your Viewty Firmware
    note: this link is only good for 90 days from when I uploaded it, so it expires January 17, 2009

Bootup on v10c took 45 seconds, and with v10g it now takes 40 seconds. The only difference that I immediately noticed with v10g is that scrolling using the touchscreen more reliable and satisfying with v10g, especially with the browser, and I'm apt to believe myself in this regard since this was a difference I wasn't looking for.

Others have reported that v10g eliminates the Java permissions issue with some applications, and also fixes some Bluetooth bugs. I also discovered that if I have two bars or more YouTube videos now play flawlessly.

As a side note, the USER_AGENT for this unbranded v10g is clean - it doesn't have any O2 or Orange strings. This is important as many wireless providers look at that browser string to determine what content to serve you, and if your browser's USER_AGENT is from a competitor they might restrict what they show you. For example, my service provider, T-Mobile USA, would not show me some content with an Orange-branded USER_AGENT from v10c.

The USER_AGENT string begins with LG/KU990/v10a and the v10a probably means that the browser's display profile is the same as firmware version v10a. I this means that all Viewty's browsers all render web pages exactly the same, regardless of firmware.

Using the menu icons with v10g is a fraction of a second slower, but that's not important to me. That might be related to the improved touchscreen, so I won't be installing the Nyx file everyone's talking about to improve responsiveness.

Another small advantage with v10g is that handwriting recognition seems slightly more accurate; however, you need to enter the letter "e" like the Euro symbol "Є" for it to be reliably recognized.

Also improved with v10g, when adding a new network under Network Settings > Preferred Lists, the new network is added to the TOP of the list, not at the very bottom. I did this because I use T-Mobile USA, and on first boot my v10g Viewty found only one network MCC:310/MNC:260, and I wanted to add the other two T-Mobile USA networks configs (310-160 and 310-800). Previously, when you added a new mobile network it was added to the bottom of the list, and you had to keep tediously selecting Move Up from the menu to move it to the top. Not a big deal since you usually only set up networks once, but it can be important when roaming.

Even better with v10g, on first boot it found and registered with T-Mobile USA without me having to manually enter the network settings like I had to do with v10c (see previous paragraph).

Networks, Network Access points, and every other wireless setting is cleared of any European networks with this version of v10g.

Googlemaps didn't work for me with v10c. It works for me now.

I agree with what's written here, don't flash to new firmware unless you are having problems or want to totally get rid of branded icons or branded network settings.

FLASHING YOUR FIRMWARE WITH BINARY FILES

First, you need to understand something. The Viewty's internal Flash has a file system. Examples of file systems for Windows computers are FAT32 and NTFS. I don't know what type of file system the Viewty has - it might be proprietary - but there are definitely different boot sectors for different file systems for the Viewty. Flashing with binary files (and NOT drag-and-drop using EPS) guarantees the the boot sector and file system matches the firmware you are installing.

This procedure requires you to erase all the data on your phone - contacts, memos, etc. This is necessary in order for this procedure to have the best reliability.

This is what us hardware guys call a "Best Practices" approach to changing your firmware. This means that, if you follow this procedure down to the last detail, you have the lowest risk of having problems with your Viewty and the highest probability of having a stable, clean-running Viewty.

It's important to note that you can go UP in version (from v10c to v10g) but I don't recommend going DOWN in version (from v10h to v10g). There may be hardware or other changes to your phone that makes downgrading your firmware incompatible.

IMPORTANT: IF YOUR PHONE IS SIM-LOCKED, YOU MUST UNLOCK YOUR PHONE BEFORE CHANGING FIRMWARE! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY YOUR FIRMWARE FROM THE ORIGINAL UNTIL AFTER IT IS SIM-UNLOCKED! CHANGING YOUR FIRMWARE BEFORE SIM-UNLOCKING YOUR PHONE CAN RESULT IN YOUR PHONE BECOMING PERMANANTLY SIM-LOCKED!

Back up your NV data BEFORE doing this!!!
    1. Do NOT change your firmware unless you are having problems AND you are technically adept enough to follow these directions.
    2. Backup your flex.ini and all contents and subdirectories from your existing firmware using EPS file explorer - you will need it later.
    3. Backup the contents of your Viewty:
      - Backup your Contacts list to an Outlook or Outlook Express phone book.
      - If you wish, you can save your text messages to your SIM card.
      - Write down any memos you want to save
      - Write down all of your network settings
      - Make sure you have copies of all sound, image, videos, and other personal data files you have stored in internal memory.
    4. Flash using the LGMDP program using BINARY FILES (.dz, or .mbn/.bin/.hex files) because only by flashing in this way can you change the phone file system's boot record. Follow the instructions in the nice video I posted above. These binary files come directly from LG, so you know it's safe.
      IMPORTANT - If it won't let you select the .DZ file - STOP - because your phone's hardware or configuration is probably incompatible with the file you are flashing.
    5. When you flash using LGMDP, do a clean install and select Reset Database and Content.from the drop-down list. Don't be lazy. Let LGMDP delete all your settings.
    6. When done, replace the flex.ini in your phone with your backup in Step 3 (see below for more information on this).
    7. Restore the NV backup from before you flashed your phone.
    8. After the firmware change, do not install any LG backups you may have performed using LG PC Suite 2. It's probably compatible, but it might not be. Don't be lazy. Only use LG PC Suite 2 to re-install your contacts from your Outlook or Outlook Express backup from Step 3. Add everything else by hand. Most wireless providers support some sort of configuration process that allows them to send your phone special text messages containing configuration information for WAP access, MMS messaging, internet access, and more. This can be available via the web, or by phoning your wireless provider. The web-based configurator for T-Mobile USA is here: T-Mobile Wireless Data Configurator
    Flex.ini
    This is a text file that stores information on your country and wireless carrier. Setting this correctly can improve connecting to your wireless provider and eliminate the Emergency Only state. The settings are in the top 3 or 5 lines of the file - the rest of the file contains comments about how to use the file. Unfortunately, these contents don't address users in the USA, so I'll give you instructions for USA config here.

If you are having problems with your wireless service, you might want to check to see if your Flex.ini is at the proper settings. If you are not having any problems, then just use your original flex.ini from before you flashed the phone.

MY Flex.ini is set for T-Mobile USA. The settings are the top 4 lines and are as follows:
    Code:
    FLEX_COUNTRY_CODE=310
    FLEX_MNC_CODE=260
    FLEX_OPERATOR_CODE=9
    FLEX_SIMLOCK_ON=0
    ;
    ; 310:USA
    The FLEX_COUNTRY_CODE is the code for your country of origin. Most countries are documented in the file, but the USA is not. The FLEX_COUNTRY_CODE for the USA is = 310, so if you are in the USA make sure that setting is correct.

I recommend adding the comments I have highlighted in red above to your flex.ini just for future reference. REMEMEBR TO PREFIX THESE LINES WITH A SEMICOLON ; FOR IT TO BE RECOGNIZED AS COMMENTS. FAILURE TO DO MIGHT HAVE UNPREDICTABLE EFFECTS ON YOUR WIRELESS SERVICE!

The FLEX_MNC_CODE is the network code for your service provider. I use T-Mobile USA, and the network code for T-Mobile USA = 260. If you are having wireless access problems, check to see that the MCC code reflects your country and that the MNC code represents your carrier. Here is a list of MNC codes for wireless carriers in the USA:
    vB Easy Archive - The Ultimate MCC-MNC List for the USA

Some carriers have multiple MNC codes. You need to determine which is the primary code for where you live.

You can also find out the wireless carrier code you are presently using from your phone. Do this before flashing, and IN YOUR HOME AREA (not roaming). On your Viewty, go to
    Phone Settings > Connectivity > Network Settings > Preferred Lists.
    The name of the wireless carrier at the top of this list should be the name of your wireless carrier - T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. (If the top name is not the name of your carrier, you might have other problems and I don't know if these instructions will make things better.) With the top carrier highlighted, look at the number pair at the bottom of your screen, it is of the format:
    [MCC]-[MNC]
    The first number should be your country code (310 for USA), and the second number is the network code for your wireless carrier. This second number is the number that you should set for FLEX_MNC_CODE in your flex.ini.

For example, for T-Mobile USA it should read:
    310-260

Of the next line in flex.ini,
    FLEX_OPERATOR_CODE=9
    This is specific to your wireless carrier, but I can't find any good info on it other than what is documented at the bottom of flex.ini for European carriers. "9" seems to be the "open" value for that, so I didn't touch mine. Again, I don't realy know what it does ????? so don't experiment.

Lastly
    FLEX_SIMLOCK_ON=0
    No, setting that number to zero won't unlock your phone, but set it to zero anyway.

This is the most reliable method for flashing your phone to new, reliable, unbranded, bug-free firmware.

Bill using T-Mobile USA
    Last edited by BillG; 24-10-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Loyal Member
    Achievements:
    Level

Default Re: Best Method for Flashing Firmware

Contrary to popular opinion, there ARE differences in the firmware between v10a, v10b, v10c, etc. Some have said that each different firmware version is only a branding difference, but that is incorrect. For example, Orange-branded firmware exists for v10c, as well as v10f. You can find v10c firmware branded for O2 and Orange.

I don't want to start an argument here, but based upon my research and the best information I have been able to get from my colleagues that sell semiconductors to LG I have found out that each successive firmware version contains bug fixes. Yes, you know what that means and here it comes:

These firmware differences are, indeed, upgrades.

That means that v10c is better than v10b, and from feedback I've gotten v10g is relatively bug-free and has improved touch-screen response. Other have reported that v10g fixed some Java permissions problems. While there are no additional features, there are bug fixes and increased reliability.

This also means that it can is risky to go backwards. Don't go from v10c to v10a, or v10h to v10g. Doing so can have unpredictable results.
    Last edited by BillG; 24-10-2008 at 01:47 AM.

themanalaa is offline Landline Phone

thanks for this good guide , the video link is not working

Merv-007 is offline Landline Phone

Thumbs up Re: Best Method for Flashing Firmware

SUCCESS FLASHING from version V10b(crap) to V10g(works excellent)

I had the same problem as some of you have been experiencing especially people with similar versions as mine "V10b". (As I've previously mentioned in other thread: How to change file/system access or permissions for java apps)

That is, file access/permissions for certain apss (eg. MobyExplorer & FileExplorer), and also Bluetooth issues like GPS apps couldn't find already paired GPS device added to my Viewty. Note also, editing "*.pol" files in the /LGAPP/MEDIA/JAVA/CERT/ folder didn't change anything in the operation of the phone.

As some of you should know especially if you've experience similar problems, there is no real fix or hack to get around these problems. I decided to change firmware, thanks to BillG's instructions in first post above.

Original version when purchased phone: S/W - "KU990-MSM6280-V10b-AUG-20-2008-AUS" MEDIA - "KU990-MEDIA-V10b-AUG-20-2008-VIR" MODULE - "KU990-MODULE-V10b-AUG-20-2008-AUS-VIR". (I'm with Optus Mobile Australia).

New version after flashing phone: S/W - "KU990-MSM6280-V10g-JUL-08-2008-AUS" MEDIA - "KU990-MEDIA-V10g-JUL-08-2008-OPEN-EU" MODULE - "KU990-MODULE-V10g-JUL-08-2008-OPEN-EU".

Below is what I done:

I downloaded firmware version "ku990-dz-v10g-jul-08-2008-opn-eu.dz" (which has support for 22 languages) and downloaded "LGMDP_EURO.exe".

I removed my SD card just to be safe.

I copied all contacts/phone numbers in my phone over to the SIM-CARD to back-up, and wrote down all my "Internet", "MMS", "email" and "Games&apps internet settings". BTW, SIM-CARD was was never removed even during flashing.

Then I flashed the phone exactly as described above by BillG.

After phone finished flashing and restarted 2 or 3 times (you should see yellow refreshing screen when its rebooting) I tested all apps mention above to see if problems were gone. And guess what...??? IT ALL WORKED FINE... All apps that didn't work previously that required access to file system worked fine. And the big BONUS also, the paired Bluetooth GPS device that didn't work before, works perfectly now with all GPS apps. GPS even worked with Mobile Google Maps version "MGMaps-1_41_03.jar" "where am I" and "Mobile tracking" both worked. (just having probs with searching, getting "Search error" message).

NOTE: Don't be afraid to flash your Viewty especially if you have problematic version "V10b". Just follow BillG's instructions above. You'll be happier after flashing and everything just works that little bit better.

TIP FOR OPTUS(AUS) USERS: all internet, wap, email, & mms settings can be sent via SMS directly to phone for automatic setup. Optus mobile settings & instructions link: Optus.

Apps that work on my phone now which didn't work on my phone with original firmware version v10b:

1. MobileGoogleMaps (ver 1.41.03) working with Bluetooth GPS device and working in "offline mode". Maps are store on my SD card and the "MGMapsCache" folder is hidden on SD card which speed up loading of files dramatically in the Viewty. MobileGoogleMaps has no problem working with hidden folder.

2. GPStrack.

3. ThemeManager (ver 3.2) with "Themes" folder (also hidden) running from SD card. Also changed to hacked "Nyx_Open_menu.swf" so Theme manager starts with selecting "Black" theme instead of "Silver" (black background with color icons in menu theme, black dialpad black contacts, etc).

4. MobyExplorer.
    5. FileExplorer.

And also preinstalled Google Mail & Google Maps work perfectly.
    Last edited by Merv-007; 20-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Loyal Member
    Achievements:
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by themanalaa View Post
    thanks for this good guide , the video link is not working
    Just checked it - the link to the vieo works fine. Must be a problem at your end?
    Last edited by BillG; 20-10-2008 at 07:58 PM.

themanalaa is offline Landline Phone

yes,, the video link is working now,, i have a big problem,, no network it say. i did evreything upp here but , it is not working for me, any one who can help, my phone has been brock in 4 days . and i m out of idees

Duster88 is offline EDGE Mobile Phone
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level

Is there a way to remove the keypad calibration that apers every time when i change the sim card or rmove my battery.....what schowld i change?Thanx in advantage.

safcbabe is offline Landline Phone

Hi BillG,
    Did you get your viewty unlocked ?,
    or is it OK to flash your phone when its locked?

Mine is locked to the Tesco network and the cost
    of the internet is a lot cheaper on vodafone,
    which is why i want to unlock it and upgrade the
    firmware.

Loyal Member
    Achievements:
    Level

Flashing your firmware will not SIM-unlock your Viewty, but it's not O.K. to flash it when the phone is SIM-locked and you plan to unlock it.

With my isim sitting between my SIM and the Viewty, when I flashed to unbranded v10g-OPEN above (and I correctly modified flex.ini to T-Mobile USA settings) I am happy to say that I have a more satisfying steady signal (and more bars), and my phone stopped going into the Emergency Only state. However, when I received the unlock code I purchased, the phone says it's sim-unlocked, but it's still sim-locked. I should have unlocked it with it's original firmware.
    Last edited by BillG; 03-11-2008 at 09:57 PM.

stumpyalin is offline 2G Mobile Phone

i just can not change my phone firmware using a _dz_ file...when i use LGMDP and go to DZ file..it keep saying _Select KU990 image_ and i tried many DZ files from many firmwares and nothing, it keeps saying that...pls help ...thx

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast