Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flashing the ROM on your HTC Touch Diamond Thread

HTC Forum Forum in Feature Mobile Phone Manufacturers Section

To begin with, you will need: A copy of the firmware ROM you want to Flash (.exe or .nbh), you ...
    joe13 is offline Moderator
    Technical Ambassador
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registeredTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Level

Default Flashing the ROM on your HTC Touch Diamond

To begin with, you will need:

• A copy of the firmware ROM you want to Flash (.exe or .nbh), you can download the latest official 2.03 ROM for Europe from here
    • An unsigned version of Hard-SPL (allows you to install unofficial ROMs) - you can get version 1.93 & 1.40 from the downloads section

Make a full backup of your contacts, messages, files, documents, programs etc before flashing your HTC Touch Diamond.

To start, you will need to change your SPL (Secondary Program Loader - loads the OS) using the unsigned Hard-SPL. You only ever need to install Hard-SPL once.

Make sure you have disabled the Sleep & and Hibernate modes on your computer before attempting to use the Hard-SPL.

Make sure your phone has more than 50% battery.

To change your SPL with Hard-SPL (use the 1.93 version unless you have troubles):

1. Connect your phone to your PC and set up an ActiveSync connection
    2. Then launch the RomUpdateUtility.exe program - it ask you to make sure you have established a connection. Follow the on-screen instructions, and when it shows you the SPL you are flashing to, it should say 'Diamond 1.00' or similar. (It will say 'OliNex 1.40' or similar if you use the 1.40 version)
    3. After you have agreed to everything, it will begin the process of changing your SPL. Do not disconnect your phone, turn your PC off or launch any programs while it is done.
    4. Once it is complete your phone will reset, if it restarts OK congratulations! You are ready to add your new ROM. If not, do not disconnect your phone, wait a while and the RomUpdateUtility will change to a recovery screen, just follow the on-screen prompts.

Once you have Hard-SPL on your device, you can install any ROM. There are various ways to flash a ROM (you can do it over the USB connection), but I will tell you the safest which involves flashing from your internal storage:

1. Take your ROM, and if it is in .exe format, extract it using a Zip program such as 7-Zip or Winzip, and find the largest .nbh file
    2. Rename the .nbh file to DIAMIMG.NBH (all CAPS), and copy the file to the root of your device's internal storage. Use the file transfer mode to avoid any possible problems.
    3. Make sure your phone has more than 50% battery left. Now take off the back cover, and do a soft reset by pushing the stylus into the hole with the red button in.
    4. Within 3 seconds of doing that, press and hold the Back key (arrow pointing the the left) and the Volume down key. Keep them held down until a Red, Green and Blue screen is displayed (if you don't get the screen, soft-reset and try again).
    5. As soon as the Red, Green & Blue screen is displayed, let go of all buttons. The phone will now go to a grey screen with some options on it (if you get a continuous 'USB refreshing' text, you need to use a later version of Hard-SPL).
    6. Press the Power Key (on top of the phone) once when you are on the grey screen, your phone will now start the flashing process, this should take 1-5 mins depending on the firmware.
    7. After the process is complete, soft reset your device again and your new firmware should be installed.

I used this process to flash my O2 XDA Ignito from the 1.93 firmware to the official 2.03, and have to say the TouchFLO interface seems somewhat smoother, and programs launch faster.

There are a number of cooked/home-made ROMs available, see Diamond ROM development - xda-developers for more of them.

For me information on customizing your Diamond, take a look at: modmydiamond.info - Home
    Last edited by joe13; 24-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Themes, Apps, Software: http://www.joeearl.co.uk
    Touch Diamond | vTocco | Walkman | Weather Widget | Cube3D
    enhanced shortCut | Create Themes for KU990 Guide | More

Syntagmatarxis is offline New Member
    Please make this person feel extra welcome!

Default Re: Flashing the ROM on your HTC Touch Diamond

Hello and thanks in advance for your post.

I know its been a while since you posted but pls help me!

i am from greece and I have just bought an HTC Diamond but it is a branded device.. So a can't download any updates from the original sites.

Is it sure that this ROM Flash is going to work? Or if it doesn't work can i reset my phone to the original form? i have the 1.93.168.2 greek version.

The reason why i want to change the ROM is that the menus on the phone are all from the branded company... And it is nothing like the HTC diamond we all know.

Thank you again ! Or anyone who can answer me!!!!

Technical Ambassador
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registeredTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Level

yes you can flash branded firmware I have done this on my o2 branded firmware and it worked just fine. I will also upload a new version of firmware later and will post a code you can use on the htc site to download firmware updates
    Last edited by joe13; 06-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Technical Ambassador
    Achievements:
    Level

Okay Official SN: HT822GN31009
    Use that to download new firmware updates from the HTC website.

Just download the latest firmware, then follow the steps above.

ilasisi is offline New Member
    Please make this person feel extra welcome!

Searched the veb for hours but thx to Joe13. solved the problem.
    Basically you have to downgrade the bootloader (HardSPL) to be able to update the whole thing..

Limlin is offline Landline Phone

Wow, thank you for the sharing and that's exactly what I need.

alizha001 is offline Landline Phone

good job thanks

feic is offline Landline Phone

Just wanted to say that I found this thread really useful, & thanks. I've succesfully updated my June 2008 Diamond to 1.93 Hard-SPL and the 2009 HTC firmware. It's a massive improvement.
    David

mtlambert is offline Landline Phone

Quote Originally Posted by joe13 View Post
    To begin with, you will need:

• A copy of the firmware ROM you want to Flash (.exe or .nbh), you can download the latest official 2.03 ROM for Europe from here
    • An unsigned version of Hard-SPL (allows you to install unofficial ROMs) - you can get version 1.93 & 1.40 from the downloads section
    Make a full backup of your contacts, messages, files, documents, programs etc before flashing your HTC Touch Diamond.

To start, you will need to change your SPL (Secondary Program Loader - loads the OS) using the unsigned Hard-SPL. You only ever need to install Hard-SPL once.

Make sure you have disabled the Sleep & and Hibernate modes on your computer before attempting to use the Hard-SPL.

Make sure your phone has more than 50% battery.

To change your SPL with Hard-SPL (use the 1.93 version unless you have troubles):

1. Connect your phone to your PC and set up an ActiveSync connection
    2. Then launch the RomUpdateUtility.exe program - it ask you to make sure you have established a connection. Follow the on-screen instructions, and when it shows you the SPL you are flashing to, it should say 'Diamond 1.00' or similar. (It will say 'OliNex 1.40' or similar if you use the 1.40 version)
    3. After you have agreed to everything, it will begin the process of changing your SPL. Do not disconnect your phone, turn your PC off or launch any programs while it is done.
    4. Once it is complete your phone will reset, if it restarts OK congratulations! You are ready to add your new ROM. If not, do not disconnect your phone, wait a while and the RomUpdateUtility will change to a recovery screen, just follow the on-screen prompts.
    Once you have Hard-SPL on your device, you can install any ROM. There are various ways to flash a ROM (you can do it over the USB connection), but I will tell you the safest which involves flashing from your internal storage:

1. Take your ROM, and if it is in .exe format, extract it using a Zip program such as 7-Zip or Winzip, and find the largest .nbh file
    2. Rename the .nbh file to DIAMIMG.NBH (all CAPS), and copy the file to the root of your device's internal storage. Use the file transfer mode to avoid any possible problems.
    3. Make sure your phone has more than 50% battery left. Now take off the back cover, and do a soft reset by pushing the stylus into the hole with the red button in.
    4. Within 3 seconds of doing that, press and hold the Back key (arrow pointing the the left) and the Volume down key. Keep them held down until a Red, Green and Blue screen is displayed (if you don't get the screen, soft-reset and try again).
    5. As soon as the Red, Green & Blue screen is displayed, let go of all buttons. The phone will now go to a grey screen with some options on it (if you get a continuous 'USB refreshing' text, you need to use a later version of Hard-SPL).
    6. Press the Power Key (on top of the phone) once when you are on the grey screen, your phone will now start the flashing process, this should take 1-5 mins depending on the firmware.
    7. After the process is complete, soft reset your device again and your new firmware should be installed.
    I used this process to flash my O2 XDA Ignito from the 1.93 firmware to the official 2.03, and have to say the TouchFLO interface seems somewhat smoother, and programs launch faster.

There are a number of cooked/home-made ROMs available, see Diamond ROM development - xda-developers for more of them.

For me information on customizing your Diamond, take a look at: modmydiamond.info - Home

hi,

does this work with vodafone?
    and is it fool proof?

thanks.

mr.vegajr is offline Landline Phone

it said update complete update success but it doesn't load up after the soft reset it just keeps showing the diamond splash screen any help is appreciated thanks
    Last edited by mr.vegajr; 23-02-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast